Quantcast

Alt. compression filter implementation

Andrey Paramonov
Hello!

I'd like to use "bitshuffle" preconditioning filter for HDF5 datasets.
Luckily, the page
https://support.hdfgroup.org/services/contributions.html#filters
points me to Filter ID 32008:
https://github.com/kiyo-masui/bitshuffle
However, there are technical limitations that restrict me from usage of
above plugin. I'm going to implement something simpler, probably not
even *fully* compatible on cd_nelmts/cd_values.
In this case, should I still use ID 32008 for my filter?
Or, I'd rather contact
https://support.hdfgroup.org/services/support.html
and try register another ID?

Best wishes,
Andrey Paramonov

believed to be clean.

Re: Alt. compression filter implementation

Miller, Mark C.
Hi Andrey,

Here is my take on filter ids

You should use a different filter id.

That said, you have two options in so doing. Use a non-registered id with value below 32000 that *only*you* care about.

Or, try to get a new registered filter id.

Do you anticipate many other people/organizations using your filter and sharing data that was filtered with it?

If so, yes, it would be very important to go the "registered filter id" route. Otherwise, its less important.

Mark

--
Mark C. Miller, LLNL

15.11.2016 19:46, Miller, Mark C. пишет:

> Hi Andrey,
>
> Here is my take on filter ids
>
> You should use a different filter id.
>
> That said, you have two options in so doing. Use a non-registered id
> with value below 32000 that *only*you* care about.
>
> Or, try to get a new registered filter id.
>
> Do you anticipate many other people/organizations using your filter and
> sharing data that was filtered with it?
>
> If so, yes, it would be very important to go the "registered filter id"
> route. Otherwise, its less important.

Hello!

Thank you for your reply.
The files will be created by other people and probably passed around, so
I'd like to ensure the numbers can still be readable.

Best wishes,
Andrey Paramonov

> From: Hdf-forum <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> on behalf of Андрей
> Парамонов <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
> Date: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 5:20 AM
> To: HDF Users Discussion List <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
> Subject: [Hdf-forum] Alt. compression filter implementation
>
>     Hello!
>
>     I'd like to use "bitshuffle" preconditioning filter for HDF5 datasets.
>     Luckily, the page
>     https://support.hdfgroup.org/services/contributions.html#filters
>     points me to Filter ID 32008:
>     https://github.com/kiyo-masui/bitshuffle
>     However, there are technical limitations that restrict me from usage of
>     above plugin. I'm going to implement something simpler, probably not
>     even *fully* compatible on cd_nelmts/cd_values.
>     In this case, should I still use ID 32008 for my filter?
>     Or, I'd rather contact
>     https://support.hdfgroup.org/services/support.html
>     and try register another ID?
>
>     Best wishes,
>     Andrey Paramonov
>
>     --
>     This message has been scanned for viruses and
>     dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
>     believed to be clean.

> believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.

Re: Alt. compression filter implementation

Miller, Mark C.
Ok, so you'll wanna follow the steps here...

Mark

--
Mark C. Miller, LLNL

From: Hdf-forum <[hidden email]
<[hidden email]> on behalf of Андрей
Парамонов <[hidden email] <[hidden email]>
Date: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 5:20 AM
To: HDF Users Discussion List <[hidden email]

     Hello!

     I'd like to use "bitshuffle" preconditioning filter for HDF5 datasets.
     Luckily, the page
     points me to Filter ID 32008:
     However, there are technical limitations that restrict me from usage of
     above plugin. I'm going to implement something simpler, probably not
     even *fully* compatible on cd_nelmts/cd_values.
     In this case, should I still use ID 32008 for my filter?
     Or, I'd rather contact
     and try register another ID?

     Best wishes,
     Andrey Paramonov