Quantcast

Concurrent HDF5 access crashes wsgi server (even with --enable-threadsafe)

Concurrent HDF5 access crashes wsgi server (even with --enable-threadsafe)

Yoshua Wakeham
Hi there,

I'm using HDF5 files as a data storage format for a low-traffic web application, which is built in Pyramid (Python framework) and running on the Waitress WSGI server. We have encountered a nasty bug where if multiple requests (threads) concurrently read different HDF5 files, the server crashes with a segmentation fault. The crash is definitely thread-related, because the bug vanishes if we restrict the server to be single-threaded.

Note that the crash does not occur when multiple threads read the *same* HDF5 file. Only when multiple HDF5 files are being accessed simultaneously.

We have built libhdf5 (version 1.8.16) with --enable-threadsafe turned on; the ttsafe tests run successfully.

Any help in resolving the bug would be much appreciated.

Best regards,
Yoshua Wakeham

The information in this email is confidential and intended solely for the addressee.
You must not disclose, forward, print or use it without the permission of the sender.

Re: Concurrent HDF5 access crashes wsgi server (even with --enable-threadsafe)

Elena Pourmal
Yoshua,

Would it be possible for you to reproduce the issue using C application and submit it to [hidden email]?

Thank you!

Elena