Quantcast

Error when installing on VS2015

Michael Jackson
I just tried to build HDF5 1.8.18 with Visual Studio 2015 on Windows 7
x64 Pro machine and during the install we get an error because the
install command is looking for $BUILD/Bin/shared/*.mod where as the
actual files are in $BUILD/Bin/shared/Debug/*.mod.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Thanks
--
Michael A. Jackson
BlueQuartz Software, LLC

Re: Error when installing on VS2015

Michael Jackson
The issue lies in the fortran/src/CMakeLists.txt file and the hl/fortran/src/CMakeLists.txt file. This block should be:

if (BUILD_SHARED_LIBS AND NOT SKIP_HDF5_FORTRAN_SHARED)
  file (MAKE_DIRECTORY "${HDF5_HL_F90_SRC_BINARY_DIR}/shared")
  if (WIN32)
    set (MODSH_BUILD_DIR ${CMAKE_Fortran_MODULE_DIRECTORY}/shared/${CMAKE_CFG_INTDIR})
  else (WIN32)
    set (MODSH_BUILD_DIR ${CMAKE_Fortran_MODULE_DIRECTORY}/shared)
  endif (WIN32)
endif (BUILD_SHARED_LIBS AND NOT SKIP_HDF5_FORTRAN_SHARED)
if (WIN32)
  set (MOD_BUILD_DIR ${CMAKE_Fortran_MODULE_DIRECTORY}/static/${CMAKE_CFG_INTDIR})
else (WIN32)
  set (MOD_BUILD_DIR ${CMAKE_Fortran_MODULE_DIRECTORY}/static)
endif (WIN32)

Note the use of CMAKE_CFG_INTDIR instead of CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE. CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE does not exist for Xcode or Visual Studio. This page (https://cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_Useful_Variables) explains the use of CMAKE_CFG_INTDIR

Can we get this put into the next release or an upcoming patch release?

Thanks
mike jackson

Mike Jackson                  [hidden email]
BlueQuartz Software                    www.bluequartz.net
Principal Software Engineer                  Dayton, Ohio

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 4:27 PM, Michael Jackson <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just tried to build HDF5 1.8.18 with Visual Studio 2015 on Windows 7 x64 Pro machine and during the install we get an error because the install command is looking for $BUILD/Bin/shared/*.mod where as the actual files are in $BUILD/Bin/shared/Debug/*.mod.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Thanks
--
Michael A. Jackson
BlueQuartz Software, LLC
[e]: [hidden email]

Re: Error when installing on VS2015

Allen Byrne
You need to set the CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE on the command config line.
I usually set it to the same as:
$ENV{CMAKE_CONFIG_TYPE}
so:
CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:STRING=$ENV{CMAKE_CONFIG_TYPE}

Allen

On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 4:27:33 PM CST Michael Jackson wrote:
> I just tried to build HDF5 1.8.18 with Visual Studio 2015 on Windows 7
> x64 Pro machine and during the install we get an error because the
> install command is looking for $BUILD/Bin/shared/*.mod where as the
> actual files are in $BUILD/Bin/shared/Debug/*.mod.
>
> Has anyone else seen this issue?
>
> Thanks

Re: Error when installing on VS2015

Michael Jackson
Will that work on both a NMake and Visual Studio build? With NMake you don't have the configuration dependent directories like Debug and Release whereas with Visual Studio you will get those.

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 11:51 AM, Allen Byrne <[hidden email]> wrote:
You need to set the CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE on the command config line.
I usually set it to the same as:
$ENV{CMAKE_CONFIG_TYPE}
so:
CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:STRING=$ENV{CMAKE_CONFIG_TYPE}

Allen

On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 4:27:33 PM CST Michael Jackson wrote:
> I just tried to build HDF5 1.8.18 with Visual Studio 2015 on Windows 7
> x64 Pro machine and during the install we get an error because the
> install command is looking for $BUILD/Bin/shared/*.mod where as the
> actual files are in $BUILD/Bin/shared/Debug/*.mod.
>
> Has anyone else seen this issue?
>
> Thanks

Re: Error when installing on VS2015

Allen Byrne
It has worked for me across all platforms.

Allen

On Wednesday, December 21, 2016 11:57:18 AM CST Michael Jackson wrote:

> Will that work on both a NMake and Visual Studio build? With NMake you
> don't have the configuration dependent directories like Debug and Release
> whereas with Visual Studio you will get those.
>
> Mike Jackson

> Mike Jackson                  [hidden email]
> BlueQuartz Software                    www.bluequartz.net
> Principal Software Engineer                  Dayton, Ohio
>
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 11:51 AM, Allen Byrne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > You need to set the CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE on the command config line.
> > I usually set it to the same as:
> > $ENV{CMAKE_CONFIG_TYPE}
> > so:
> > CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:STRING=$ENV{CMAKE_CONFIG_TYPE}
> >
> > Allen
> >
> > On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 4:27:33 PM CST Michael Jackson wrote:
> > > I just tried to build HDF5 1.8.18 with Visual Studio 2015 on Windows 7
> > > x64 Pro machine and during the install we get an error because the
> > > install command is looking for $BUILD/Bin/shared/*.mod where as the
> > > actual files are in $BUILD/Bin/shared/Debug/*.mod.
> > >
> > > Has anyone else seen this issue?
> > >
> > > Thanks

Re: Error when installing on VS2015

Samer Afach-4

Hi there,

just out of curiosity, why do you need to install at all? I use CMake and I never have to install anything. Especially on Windows! I have an automated script to do it for me. Find it here: https://blog.afach.de/?page_id=421

I used it already on 1.8 and 1.10 and both work.

Best,
Samer Afach

On 21.12.2016 5:57 PM, Michael Jackson wrote:
Will that work on both a NMake and Visual Studio build? With NMake you don't have the configuration dependent directories like Debug and Release whereas with Visual Studio you will get those.

Mike Jackson

Mike Jackson                  [hidden email]
BlueQuartz Software                    www.bluequartz.net
Principal Software Engineer                  Dayton, Ohio

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 11:51 AM, Allen Byrne <[hidden email]> wrote:
You need to set the CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE on the command config line.
I usually set it to the same as:
$ENV{CMAKE_CONFIG_TYPE}
so:
CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:STRING=$ENV{CMAKE_CONFIG_TYPE}

Allen

On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 4:27:33 PM CST Michael Jackson wrote:
> I just tried to build HDF5 1.8.18 with Visual Studio 2015 on Windows 7
> x64 Pro machine and during the install we get an error because the
> install command is looking for $BUILD/Bin/shared/*.mod where as the
> actual files are in $BUILD/Bin/shared/Debug/*.mod.
>
> Has anyone else seen this issue?
>
> Thanks

Re: Error when installing on VS2015

Michael Jackson
Because we build up a complete SDK for our project that our developers
(who are not coding experts) use when they develop plugins for our
product. It is easier for us to issue a combined SDK package that has
everything precompiled.
--
Michael A. Jackson
BlueQuartz Software, LLC