Errors when trying to open an H5 file

niklas24
I am a novice with .H5 files, but I have pulled out a few files from my system at work and am trying to view them. First I tried in ArcGIS since the format is now supported, but I received a very vague error that the raster was invalid. Now I downloaded HDFView and I am getting this error:

I've attached one of the files I am trying to view/open so someone with more experience can take a look and hopefully enlighten me with what is wrong.

Thanks in advance!

20170327_TWL.h5 (168K) Download Attachment

Re: Errors when trying to open an H5 file

Osborn, Raymond
It opens in h5py without any problem, and I was able to plot the data in NeXpy. Could it be a permissions issue?

Ray Osborn

On Apr 9, 2017, at 1:41 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

I am a novice with .H5 files, but I have pulled out a few files from my system at work and am trying to view them. First I tried in ArcGIS since the format is now supported, but I received a very vague error that the raster was invalid. Now I downloaded HDFView and I am getting this error:

<ajkikobckhegdpha.png>

I've attached one of the files I am trying to view/open so someone with more experience can take a look and hopefully enlighten me with what is wrong.

Thanks in advance!
<20170327_TWL.h5>_______________________________________________

Ray Osborn, Senior Scientist
Materials Science Division
Argonne National Laboratory
Argonne, IL 60439, USA
Phone: +1 (630) 252-9011
Email: [hidden email]

Re: Errors when trying to open an H5 file

George N. White III

On 9 April 2017 at 15:41, <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am a novice with .H5 files, but I have pulled out a few files from my system at work and am trying to view them. First I tried in ArcGIS since the format is now supported, but I received a very vague error that the raster was invalid. Now I downloaded HDFView and I am getting this error:

I've attached one of the files I am trying to view/open so someone with more experience can take a look and hopefully enlighten me with what is wrong.

I see the same error (macOS El Capitan,  HDFview 2.13) when I click on a Data object.  Panoply gives "There was an error preparing the data: Unknown filter type=32000".

LZF Filter

Filter ID: 32000

Filter Description:

The LZF filter is an alternative DEFLATE-style compressor for HDF5 datasets, using the free LZF library by Marc Alexander Lehmann. Its main benefit over the built-in HDF5 DEFLATE filter is speed; in memory-to-memory operation as part of the filter pipeline, it typically compresses 3x-5x faster than DEFLATE, and decompresses 2x faster, while maintaining 50% to 90% of the DEFLATE compression ratio.

LZF can be used to compress any data type, and requires no compile-time or run-time configuration. HDF5 versions 1.6.5 through 1.8.3 are supported. The filter is written in C and can be included directly in C or C++ applications; it has no external dependencies. The license is 3-clause BSD (virtually unrestricted, including commercial applications).

More information, downloads, and benchmarks, are available at the http://h5py.org/lzf/.

Additional Information:

The LZF filter was developed as part of the h5py project, which implements a general-purpose interface to HDF5 from Python.

Links:

The h5py homepage: http://h5py.org
The LZF library homepage: http://home.schmorp.de/marc/liblzf.html

Contact Information:

Andrew Collette
Web: http://h5py.org

Since ArcGIS uses python, you might be able to install the lzf filter where ArcGIS can use it.

Thanks in advance!

George N. White III <[hidden email]>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

Re: Errors when trying to open an H5 file

bljones

Hello!

HDF5 provides the capability to employ dynamically loaded filters. See:

                https://support.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/doc/Advanced/DynamicallyLoadedFilters/

We test many of the filter plugins internally. We will try the LZF filter plugin and plan to add it to our

testing. I entered bug HDFFV-10174 for the issue.

-Barbara

[hidden email]