External links in C++ API?

Martin Shetty
Hello from Copenhagen all,

I'm from Tobias' group here at ESS data management.
Ran into a bit of an interesting problem. We want to create an external link to a different data file, as defined in the C API here:
https://support.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/doc/RM/RM_H5L.html#Link-CreateExternal
But we want to do this using the C++ API. I can find ways to create hard and soft links, as described here:
https://support.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/doc/cpplus_RM/class_h5_1_1_common_f_g.html#a5cdfe34b7504b51aa6ee2db7aa821b97
but there doesn't seem to be any implementation for creating external links in C++? What gives?

Cheers :)
Martin

Re: External links in C++ API?

bljones

Hi Martin,

You are correct in that there is no C++ API to create an external link. We have not had the resources to

implement all C APIs in C++.

You can use the H5Lcreate_external C routine to create an external link.  You must pass in both a link creation and a

link access property list identifier to H5Lcreate_external. Those property list identifiers  can be obtained with C++

calls. For example:  lcpl.getId().

-Barbara