Fwd: Using HDF5DotNet to create soft links

Fwd: Using HDF5DotNet to create soft links

ChrisHargreaves
I am writing an application, in C#, which uses the HDF5DotNet wrapper. I am trying to create a soft  link, but I cannot seem to find a way to do it. I can see that hard links can be created using H5L.createHardLink, but there is no corresponding H5L.createSoftLink. Is there another way to create a soft link ?

Re: Fwd: Using HDF5DotNet to create soft links

Gerd Heber

Friends don’t let friends use HDF5DotNet wrapper.

Use HDF.PInvoke.H5L.create_soft from HDF.PInvoke

- Code at https://github.com/HDFGroup/HDF.PInvoke

- Binaries in the NuGet Gallery https://www.nuget.org/packages/HDF.PInvoke/

G.

I am writing an application, in C#, which uses the HDF5DotNet wrapper. I am trying to create a soft  link, but I cannot seem to find a way to do it. I can see that hard links can be created using H5L.createHardLink, but there is no corresponding H5L.createSoftLink. Is there another way to create a soft link ?

Re: Fwd: Using HDF5DotNet to create soft links

Steve Bissell

Chris! Long time no hear…. I’d concur with Gerd.  The hdf5.net home page specifically states it only wraps a subset, and all the examples are in python (??).

What’s your application? I’ve had cause to write HDF5 code, wrapping some business rules inside a TCL extension dll written in C++.

Good to see you’re still at the sharp end J

Re: Fwd: Using HDF5DotNet to create soft links

SMITCH12@harris.com

Hey Gerd.

If the wrappers are working for us. Is there a good reason to change? Is PInvoke faster, for example?

I am writing an application, in C#, which uses the HDF5DotNet wrapper. I am trying to create a soft  link, but I cannot seem to find a way to do it. I can see that hard links can be created using H5L.createHardLink, but there is no corresponding H5L.createSoftLink. Is there another way to create a soft link ?

Re: Fwd: Using HDF5DotNet to create soft links

David Pearah

> If the wrappers are working for us. Is there a good reason to change? Is PInvoke faster, for example?

Since Gerd's on vacation, I'll do my best impersonation... The short answer:
  • HDF5DotNet wrapper: no longer supported and officially sunset
  • HDF.PInvoke: officially supported method for connected HDF5 to .NET

FYI... for those users that want advanced .NET (or Python or R) support -- code review, performance tuning, etc. --- these are now included in the our new Support Packages:

Thanks,

- Dave

If the wrappers are working for us. Is there a good reason to change? Is PInvoke faster, for example?

I am writing an application, in C#, which uses the HDF5DotNet wrapper. I am trying to create a soft  link, but I cannot seem to find a way to do it. I can see that hard links can be created using H5L.createHardLink, but there is no corresponding H5L.createSoftLink. Is there another way to create a soft link ?

Re: Fwd: Using HDF5DotNet to create soft links

Gerd Heber

I think Dave’s support argument is the most compelling.

One might add thread-safety (the old wrappers are NOT thread-safe)

and completeness (full coverage of the HDF5 C-API).

If you are comfortable with the old wrappers and neither threading

nor additional functions are on the horizon, keep using them.

We haven’t done a performance comparison between the old wrappers

and HDF.PInvoke. I don’t know much about the PInvoke vs. managed

C++ dispatch overheads, but that’s about to what it comes down.

Best, G.