H5Fget_vfd_handle

McCloskey, David L.
The documentation for H5Fget_vfd_handle
(http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu/HDF5/doc/RM_H5F.html#File-GetVfdHandle) says
that the handle returned is the handle from the "low-level file driver
currently being used by the HDF5 library for file I/O".  The same for
H5::H5File::getVFDHandle.

In the case of "normal" filesystems on Linux, does this mean that the
file descriptor is the same as that returned by open() close() and
required by fcntl()?  If not, how can I get the fd of a given H5File
object using the C++ API?

David McCloskey
Engineer
Software Products

Westinghouse Electric Company
Energy Center, East 479G
Monroeville, PA, 15146, USA
Phone:  +1 (412) 374-3789
Email:  mcclosdl at westinghouse.com
Home Page:  www.westinghousenuclear.com

H5Fget_vfd_handle

Elena Pourmal
David,

Yes, this function will return the file descriptor used by the low
level driver. In case of the default driver (SEC2) you will get the
file descriptor returned by "open" call.

Elena

At 4:58 PM -0500 1/7/08, McCloskey, David L. wrote:

>The documentation for H5Fget_vfd_handle
>(<http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu/HDF5/doc/RM_H5F.html#File-GetVfdHandle>http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu/HDF5/doc/RM_H5F.html#File-GetVfdHandle)
>says that the handle returned is the handle from the "low-level file
>driver currently being used by the HDF5 library for file I/O".  The
>same for H5::H5<getVFDHandle>File::getVFDHandle.
>
>In the case of "normal" filesystems on Linux, does this mean that
>the file descriptor is the same as that returned by open() close()
>and required by fcntl()?  If not, how can I get the fd of a given
>H5File object using the C++ API?
>
>David McCloskey
>
>Engineer
>
>Software Products