Quantcast

H5GIterate does not complete Iteration of file

H5GIterate does not complete Iteration of file

Crowley, Martin (AELE)

Hi,

I have an enquiry regarding the use of H5GIterate within C++ member
classes.

I call the H5GIterate giving it a fid ( obtained from H5Fopen ),the root
dir "\", and the function pointer below
 static int HDF5Reader::read_header_objects(int group, const char* const
name, void* temp);

The result is that on execution, I enter the read_header_objects
function once, reading the name of the first group in the \ dir, but
then exit without re-entering.
In my file there is a second group at the \ level which does not get
read.

Note, I made the member function static as without it the iterated
function was not called at all - thus I suspect the problem may lie in
this area.

Would appreciate any ideas very much,

Regards,

Martin Crowley
GE
Aviation
Digital Systems
Information Systems (Southampton)
Senior Software Engineer, R&TD

T: +44 (0)23 8024 2000
D: +44 (0)23 8024 2109
F: +44 (0)23 8024 2001
E: Martin.Crowley at smiths-aerospace.com
www.ge.com/aviation

School Lane, Chandlers Ford
Eastleigh, Hampshire, SO53 4YG, UK
GE Aviation is the business name for Smiths Aerospace Limited

<HTML>
************************************************<br>
The information contained in, or attached to, this e-mail, may contain confidential information and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and may be subject to legal privilege.  If you have received this e-mail in error you should notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail, delete the message from your system and notify your system manager.  Please do not copy it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person.  The views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.  The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses.  The company accepts no liability for any damage caused, directly or indirectly, by any virus transmitted in this email.<br>
************************************************<br>
</HTML>

H5GIterate does not complete Iteration of file

Quincey Koziol
Hi Martin,

On Aug 13, 2007, at 6:33 AM, Crowley, Martin (AELE) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an enquiry regarding the use of H5GIterate within C++ member
> classes.
>
> I call the H5GIterate giving it a fid ( obtained from H5Fopen ),the
> root dir "\", and the function pointer      below
>  static int HDF5Reader::read_header_objects(int group, const char*
> const name, void* temp);
>
> The result is that on execution, I enter the read_header_objects
> function once, reading the name of the first group in the \ dir,
> but then exit without re-entering.
>
> In my file there is a second group at the \ level which does not
> get read.
>
> Note, I made the member function static as without it the iterated
> function was not called at all - thus I suspect the problem may lie
> in this area.
>
> Would appreciate any ideas very much,

        Hmm, what was your return value from read_header_objects()?  It must
be '0' for the library to continue iteration.  ('<0' indicates an
error and '>0' indicates stopping the iteration for success)

        Quincey

> Regards,
>
> Martin Crowley
> GE
> Aviation
> Digital Systems
> Information Systems (Southampton)
> Senior Software Engineer, R&TD
>

> T: +44 (0)23 8024 2000
> D: +44 (0)23 8024 2109
> F: +44 (0)23 8024 2001
> E: Martin.Crowley at smiths-aerospace.com
> www.ge.com/aviation
>
> School Lane, Chandlers Ford
> Eastleigh, Hampshire, SO53 4YG, UK
> GE Aviation is the business name for Smiths Aerospace Limited

> The information contained in, or attached to, this e-mail, may
> contain confidential information and is intended solely for the use
> of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and may be
> subject to legal privilege. If you have received this e-mail in
> error you should notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail,
> delete the message from your system and notify your system manager.
> Please do not copy it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to
> any other person. The views or opinions presented in this e-mail
> are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent
> those of the company. The recipient should check this e-mail and
> any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no
> liability for any damage caused, directly or indirectly, by any
> virus transmitted in this email.

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: smime.p7s
Type: application/pkcs7-signature
Size: 2448 bytes
Desc: not available

H5GIterate does not complete Iteration of file

Crowley, Martin (AELE)

Thanks - that nearly sorts it. I had missed out the return value.
Interestingly though, on ensuring the return val was 0, it only iterated
through the groups ( as opposed to groups and datasets ). I have got
round this was calling iterate again within the read_header_objects(..)
function.
We call H5GIterate via our own internal dll calling mechanism ( for
various reasons ) which is perhaps somehow changing the return values??
But for now, I at least appear to have a working option, if not exactly
by the book. Thanks again.

E: Martin.Crowley at smiths-aerospace.com
www.ge.com/aviation

On Aug 15, 2007, at 2:41 AM, Crowley, Martin (AELE) wrote:

> Thanks - that nearly sorts it. I had missed out the return value.
> Interestingly though, on ensuring the return val was 0, it only
> iterated
> through the groups ( as opposed to groups and datasets ). I have got
> round this was calling iterate again within the read_header_objects
> (..)
> function.
> We call H5GIterate via our own internal dll calling mechanism ( for
> various reasons ) which is perhaps somehow changing the return
> values??
> But for now, I at least appear to have a working option, if not
> exactly
> by the book. Thanks again.

        Hmm, are the datasets in sub-groups?  If so, that would explain it:
the H5Giterate call does not recurse the entire group hierarchy, just
the particular links in a single group.  (The right solution is to do
what you did though. :-)

        Quincey

> Martin Crowley
> GE
> Aviation
> Digital Systems
> Information Systems (Southampton)
> Senior Software Engineer, R&TD
>
> T: +44 (0)23 8024 2000
> D: +44 (0)23 8024 2109
> F: +44 (0)23 8024 2001
> E: Martin.Crowley at smiths-aerospace.com
> www.ge.com/aviation
>
> School Lane, Chandlers Ford
> Eastleigh, Hampshire, SO53 4YG, UK
> GE Aviation is the business name for Smiths Aerospace Limited

I hadn't realised that - yes, in this case the datasets are indeed in
sub-groups. So that is good news in that we appear to be doing the right
thing.

Thanks,

E: Martin.Crowley at smiths-aerospace.com
www.ge.com/aviation