HDF5 1.8.19-pre1 version available for testing

HDF5 1.8.19-pre1 version available for testing

Larry Knox

Hello everyone,

A pre-release version of HDF5 1.8.19 is available for testing and can be downloaded from the following link:

https://gamma.hdfgroup.org/ftp/pub/outgoing/hdf5

For more information about the release see https://gamma.hdfgroup.org/ftp/pub/outgoing/hdf5/hdf5-1.8.19-pre1-RELEASE.txt.

If you have time to test this release candidate, we would greatly appreciate it. We test HDF5 on a variety of platforms and with multiple compilers, but there is always a system that we couldn’t test on. Your feedback is critical.

We have decided to streamline our release process for this release of HDF5 1.8 software.  For those who use autotools to build HDF5, the default configuration build mode for this distribution is “production”, as it will be for the official release.  For the last several releases we have released a pre1 version with default build mode “development” followed by a switch to default build mode “production” for a pre2 version and for the official release.  This was done to catch any bugs that are exposed in “development” mode but not in production mode.  The same purpose can be satisfied with only one pre-release version (and one download) by building and testing the software a second time with the additional configure option “--disable-production”. Please test both build modes if possible.

The shared library version numbers for lib.so.* files in HDF5 1.8.19-pre1 have been updated according to libtool’s versioning system and the changes in symbols from HDF5 1.8.18. The API compatibility report is at this link:  https://gamma.hdfgroup.org/ftp/pub/outgoing/hdf5/hdf5-1.8.19-pre1-interface_compatibility_report.

 Your prompt reports of any issues found will be invaluable and very much appreciated. Thank you and happy testing!

Larry

Larry Knox  The HDF Group  http://hdfgroup.org
1800 So. Oak St., Suite 203, Champaign IL 61820
217.531.6101

Re: HDF5 1.8.19-pre1 version available for testing

Michael Jackson
What date is the release scheduled for? This will help our team do our
own scheduling as we would like to test 1.8.19 for incompatibilities but
do not have time until early next week?
--
Michael A. Jackson
BlueQuartz Software, LLC

Larry Knox wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> A pre-release version of HDF5 1.8.19 is available for testing and can be
> downloaded from the following link:
>
> https://gamma.hdfgroup.org/ftp/pub/outgoing/hdf5
>
> For more information about the release see
> https://gamma.hdfgroup.org/ftp/pub/outgoing/hdf5/hdf5-1.8.19-pre1-RELEASE.txt.
>
> If you have time to test this release candidate, we would greatly
> appreciate it. We test HDF5 on a variety of platforms and with multiple
> compilers, but there is always a system that we couldn’t test on. Your
> feedback is critical.
>
> We have decided to streamline our release process for this release of
> HDF5 1.8 software. For those who use autotools to build HDF5, the
> default configuration build mode for this distribution is “production”,
> as it will be for the official release. For the last several releases we
> have released a pre1 version with default build mode “development”
> followed by a switch to default build mode “production” for a pre2
> version and for the official release. This was done to catch any bugs
> that are exposed in “development” mode but not in production mode. The
> same purpose can be satisfied with only one pre-release version (and one
> download) by building and testing the software a second time with the
> additional configure option “--disable-production”. Please test both
> build modes if possible.
>
> The shared library version numbers for lib.so.* files in HDF5
> 1.8.19-pre1 have been updated according to libtool’s versioning system
> and the changes in symbols from HDF5 1.8.18. The API compatibility
> report is at this link:
> https://gamma.hdfgroup.org/ftp/pub/outgoing/hdf5/hdf5-1.8.19-pre1-interface_compatibility_report.
>
> Your prompt reports of any issues found will be invaluable and very much
> appreciated. Thank you and happy testing!
>
> Larry

> Larry Knox The HDF Group http://hdfgroup.org
> 1800 So. Oak St., Suite 203, Champaign IL 61820
> 217.531.6101

Re: HDF5 1.8.19-pre1 version available for testing

Larry Knox
The final release is scheduled to be finished by Friday June 16.  We expect that we would be able to incorporate minor fixes due to issues reported Monday or Tuesday of next week without delaying the release.  Major issues would either delay the release or require a patch release.  We do appreciate reports of issues whenever they are available (but as soon as possible).

Thanks,
Larry

Larry Knox wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> A pre-release version of HDF5 1.8.19 is available for testing and can
> be downloaded from the following link:
>
> https://gamma.hdfgroup.org/ftp/pub/outgoing/hdf5
>
> For more information about the release see
> https://gamma.hdfgroup.org/ftp/pub/outgoing/hdf5/hdf5-1.8.19-pre1-RELEASE.txt.
>
> If you have time to test this release candidate, we would greatly
> appreciate it. We test HDF5 on a variety of platforms and with
> multiple compilers, but there is always a system that we couldn't test
> on. Your feedback is critical.
>
> We have decided to streamline our release process for this release of
> HDF5 1.8 software. For those who use autotools to build HDF5, the
> default configuration build mode for this distribution is
> "production", as it will be for the official release. For the last
> several releases we have released a pre1 version with default build mode "development"
> followed by a switch to default build mode "production" for a pre2
> version and for the official release. This was done to catch any bugs
> that are exposed in "development" mode but not in production mode. The
> same purpose can be satisfied with only one pre-release version (and
> one
> download) by building and testing the software a second time with the
> additional configure option "--disable-production". Please test both
> build modes if possible.
>
> The shared library version numbers for lib.so.* files in HDF5
> 1.8.19-pre1 have been updated according to libtool's versioning system
> and the changes in symbols from HDF5 1.8.18. The API compatibility
> report is at this link:
> https://gamma.hdfgroup.org/ftp/pub/outgoing/hdf5/hdf5-1.8.19-pre1-interface_compatibility_report.
>
> Your prompt reports of any issues found will be invaluable and very
> much appreciated. Thank you and happy testing!
>
> Larry

> Larry Knox The HDF Group http://hdfgroup.org
> 1800 So. Oak St., Suite 203, Champaign IL 61820
> 217.531.6101

Re: HDF5 1.8.19-pre1 version available for testing

marco atzeri-2
On 07/06/2017 20:06, Larry Knox wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> A pre-release version of HDF5 1.8.19 is available for testing and can be
> downloaded from the following link:

Building on cygwin with shared lib I found that the propagation
of no-undefined and LIBADD is broken in several points.
Before sending a patch, any reason why the libdyn libs are
now installed ?

not installed in 1.8.18
         usr/lib/cygdynlib1.dll
         usr/lib/cygdynlib2.dll
         usr/lib/cygdynlib3.dll
         usr/lib/cygdynlib4.dll
new to 1.8.19
         usr/lib/cygdynlibadd.dll
         usr/lib/cygdynlibdiff.dll
         usr/lib/cygdynlibdump.dll
         usr/lib/cygdynlibls.dll
         usr/lib/cygdynlibvers.dll

Regards
Marco

Re: HDF5 1.8.19-pre1 version available for testing

Allen Byrne
Marco,

    Those test libraries should not be installed.

This is a side effect of trying to get the libararies properly created for the intended test - where the library does not link to any other libraries. The dynamic library loading requires that the test library not be linked or contain any dependent libraries.

We continue to work on finding a solution.

Allen