Quantcast

HDF5 running on ARM V 7 processor

Gerhard Kreuzer

Hi,

I am using an AT-501  SoM(System on Module) by Shiratech which is powered by an ARM V 7 processor. I run WEC 2013 (Windows compact edition) upon it and wrote software in C++ and/or C# and/or VB.net using VS2015 by Microsoft.. Now I want to use HDF5, but my nuget informed me, that there is no package available for ARM and .net CF 3.9.

Any idea how I can get it running, or is there no chance at all?

With best regards

Gerhard

Re: HDF5 running on ARM V 7 processor

Gerd Heber

Gerhard, how are you? The HDF.PInvoke assemblies in our NuGet packages

are built for the “Any CPU” platform. We provide native HDF5 binaries

for x86 and x86_64 only. How is the .NET Compact Framework different

from the regular thing?

Regards,

Gerd (or Gerhard)

Re: HDF5 running on ARM V 7 processor

Gerhard Kreuzer

Hi Gerd,

the Compact Framework 3.9 is a subset of  the normal .net framework. It is made to allow development of .net applications which should run on embedded devices, which normally didn’t use x86 processors.

As far as I know, the project template I have to use to develop apps take care of all that stuff. I use drivers for USB chips from FTDI and I have to download special drivers built for  the ARM V7 processor.

I hoped that hdf5 only relies on very basic functions like file IO and far as I see, this functions were similar to  the standard implementation.

I added a shot which shows the outcome as I tried to use nuget.

I am not so familar with this mailing lists. I tried to replay in the forum, but I get an error, which told me, that I tried to use a restricted area …

With best regards

Gerhard

hdf5 and nuget.PNG (56K) Download Attachment

Re: HDF5 running on ARM V 7 processor

Gerd Heber

I think there are several issues here:

HDF.PInvoke.dll (.NET “Any CPU” or “ARM”)):

For the time being, you should stick to the 1.8 family of HDF5.

The 1.8.17.X NuGet packages won’t help you though, because they target the

.NET 4.5 framework and include native dependencies only for x86 and x86_64.

What would be the equivalent Compact Framework version?

(Or you would have to build HDF.PInvoke with an earlier .NET framework target,

i.e., 2.0, 3.5 or 4.0)

hdf5.dll, hdf5_hl.dll, zlib.dll, szip.dll (native ARM):

You’ll have to compile the HDF5 library for ARM. At the moment, cross compilation

is a pain, but if you have a native build host (GCC + Autotools) this will work

just fine. I’ve built it for Raspberry Pi 2 (ARMv7) and 3 (ARMv8) under

Raspbian (Debian) with good success.

Once you have those, you should be good to go. (Build UnitTests.dll for a sanity check!)

It’s not a configuration we’ve built or support, but there’s a good chance that it’ll work.

Best, G.