HDF5 running on ARM V 7 processor

Gerhard Kreuzer

Hi Gerd,

my problem is, that I am not familar with low level cross compiling.

I can write C/C++ projects with my VS2015 and this projects get compiled to my target hardware, no problem.

If there is some project which contains the source for HDF5 PInvoke 1.8, this would work.

I also can reference native (unmanaged) dlls from managed (C# or VB.net) code, so there is a way I can use such dlls containing the HDF5 stuff.

I actually wrote runtime critical code, which controls some hardware in C++ and packed this code blocks in a dll, which is called by my application written in VB.net. Works fine.

If HDF5 isn’t native and is based on some ,net Framework version, than my .net Framework is CF 3.9, which is a subset of  the full framework, cause it is for embedded systems. Now it depends what HDF5 is using, if there is only native file IO there isn’t a problem ahead I think, but if  it is using more complex functions of  the framework, maybe we run into troubles.

So is there a way to get a VS2015 project containing the HDF5 stuff and compile it into one / or more dlls?

You did it for Raspi, but you used the Linux derivate running there, sorry, but I can’t use any kind of Linux here.

With best regards

Gerhard

Re: HDF5 running on ARM V 7 processor

Peter Steinbach
Hi Gerhard,

a naive question .... did you try building hdf5 on your target platform
with cmake directly?
As long as you have cmake and visual studio installed, I don't see a
problem. cmake can generate the solutions and even call visual studio to
do the compilation.

Best,

Re: HDF5 running on ARM V 7 processor

Gerd Heber

The HDF.PInvoke source code is on GitHub: https://github.com/HDFGroup/HDF.PInvoke

We don’t maintain Visual Studio projects for the native HDF5 DLLs.

We use CMake (https://cmake.org/) to generate them. You should be able

to create a VS solution for x86 or x86_64, and then then switch the back end

to your ARM compiler.

WARNING: The size of certain types is established as part of the configuration

process. Make sure those number match your target system.

G.