HDFView 3.0.0 Beta Release (Newsletter #154)

HDFView 3.0.0 Beta Release (Newsletter #154)

Lori Cooper

To view from a browser, see:

https://support.hdfgroup.org/newsletters/newsletter154.pdf

The HDF Group Home Page:
https://www.hdfgroup.org/
Support Services:
https://www.hdfgroup.org/services/

                             Newsletter #154
                              May 31, 2017

A *beta* version of HDFView 3.0.0 is now available from The HDF Group home page:

https://www.hdfgroup.org/hdfview/

This is a major release that includes the following new features and changes:

• It supports 64-bit object identifiers, and uses the HDF-Java wrappers that were added to HDF5 (in HDF5-1.10) and HDF4 (in HDF 4.2.12).

• The GUI framework that HDFView uses was migrated from Swing to SWT, which provides a more native application look and feel and advanced support for tables.

• The data views (such as TableView and ImageView) have been separated from the main HDFView window and now open as separate application windows. The main HDFView window still displays open files and their structures on the left side of the window, and it now displays the metadata of the currently selected object on the right side.

• This release includes improved support for various datatypes (compound, array of compound, and opaque).

For a complete list of the new features and changes in this release, please see the Release Notes: https://support.hdfgroup.org/ftp/HDF5/releases/HDF-JAVA/hdfview-3.0.0/src/unpacked/docs/RELEASE.txt

Why use HDFView 3?

HDFView 3 can read files created with any version of HDF5 or HDF4. The older HDFView 2.x software supports files created with HDF5-1.8 (or earlier) and any version of HDF4. HDFView 2.x may be able to read some HDF5-1.10 files if they do not include any new features.

Important Change:

Please be aware that the change from Swing to SWT will affect users of the HDF-Java Object package. With earlier releases of HDF-Java, the Swing GUI framework library was required. This is no longer necessary in HDFView 3.

For questions regarding these or other HDF issues, contact: [hidden email]

Re: HDFView 3.0.0 Beta Release (Newsletter #154)

Michael Jackson
Why do I have to login to download the beta?

---
Mike Jackson
BlueQuartz Software

Lori Cooper wrote:

> To view from a browser, see:
>
> https://support.hdfgroup.org/newsletters/newsletter154.pdf

> The HDF Group Home Page: https://www.hdfgroup.org/
> Support Services: https://www.hdfgroup.org/services/
>
> Newsletter #154
> May 31, 2017
>
> A *beta* version of HDFView 3.0.0 is now available from The HDF Group
> home page:
>
> https://www.hdfgroup.org/hdfview/
>
> This is a major release that includes the following new features and
> changes:
>
> • It supports 64-bit object identifiers, and uses the HDF-Java wrappers
> that were added to HDF5 (in HDF5-1.10) and HDF4 (in HDF 4.2.12).
>
> • The GUI framework that HDFView uses was migrated from Swing to SWT,
> which provides a more native application look and feel and advanced
> support for tables.
>
> • The data views (such as TableView and ImageView) have been separated
> from the main HDFView window and now open as separate application
> windows. The main HDFView window still displays open files and their
> structures on the left side of the window, and it now displays the
> metadata of the currently selected object on the right side.
>
> • This release includes improved support for various datatypes
> (compound, array of compound, and opaque).
>
> For a complete list of the new features and changes in this release,
> please see the Release Notes:
> https://support.hdfgroup.org/ftp/HDF5/releases/HDF-JAVA/hdfview-3.0.0/src/unpacked/docs/RELEASE.txt
>
> *Why use HDFView 3? *
>
> HDFView 3 can read files created with any version of HDF5 or HDF4. The
> older HDFView 2.x software supports files created with HDF5-1.8 (or
> earlier) and any version of HDF4. HDFView 2.x may be able to read some
> HDF5-1.10 files if they do not include any new features.
>
> *Important Change:*
>
> **
>
> Please be aware that the change from Swing to SWT will affect users of
> the HDF-Java Object package. With earlier releases of HDF-Java, the
> Swing GUI framework library was required. This is no longer necessary in
> HDFView 3.

Re: HDFView 3.0.0 Beta Release (Newsletter #154)

David Pearah

Mike,

> Why do I have to login to download the beta?

Thanks for asking. We're in the process of rolling out registration for all downloads, both Beta + Production releases.

Reason: We want to get to know the HDF community, and we need a reliable way of not only reaching our users, but also understanding where and how HDF is used. The registration process was implemented in early January 2017, and we've made tweaks along the way.

Feel free to check out the blog posts from last year re: "HDF: The Next 30 Years" for a more detailed explanation: https://www.hdfgroup.org/2016/10/hdf-the-next-30-years-part-2/

Thanks,

Dave Pearah
CEO, HDF Group

Lori Cooper wrote:
> To view from a browser, see:
>
> https://support.hdfgroup.org/newsletters/newsletter154.pdf

> The HDF Group Home Page: https://www.hdfgroup.org/
> Support Services: https://www.hdfgroup.org/services/
>
> Newsletter #154
> May 31, 2017
>
> A *beta* version of HDFView 3.0.0 is now available from The HDF Group
> home page:
>
> https://www.hdfgroup.org/hdfview/
>
> This is a major release that includes the following new features and
> changes:
>
> • It supports 64-bit object identifiers, and uses the HDF-Java wrappers
> that were added to HDF5 (in HDF5-1.10) and HDF4 (in HDF 4.2.12).
>
> • The GUI framework that HDFView uses was migrated from Swing to SWT,
> which provides a more native application look and feel and advanced
> support for tables.
>
> • The data views (such as TableView and ImageView) have been separated
> from the main HDFView window and now open as separate application
> windows. The main HDFView window still displays open files and their
> structures on the left side of the window, and it now displays the
> metadata of the currently selected object on the right side.
>
> • This release includes improved support for various datatypes
> (compound, array of compound, and opaque).
>
> For a complete list of the new features and changes in this release,
> please see the Release Notes:
> https://support.hdfgroup.org/ftp/HDF5/releases/HDF-JAVA/hdfview-3.0.0/src/unpacked/docs/RELEASE.txt
>
> *Why use HDFView 3? *
>
> HDFView 3 can read files created with any version of HDF5 or HDF4. The
> older HDFView 2.x software supports files created with HDF5-1.8 (or
> earlier) and any version of HDF4. HDFView 2.x may be able to read some
> HDF5-1.10 files if they do not include any new features.
>
> *Important Change:*
>
> **
>
> Please be aware that the change from Swing to SWT will affect users of
> the HDF-Java Object package. With earlier releases of HDF-Java, the
> Swing GUI framework library was required. This is no longer necessary in
> HDFView 3.

Re: HDFView 3.0.0 Beta Release (Newsletter #154)

Trig Chen
HDFView 3.0.0 can't open files named in unicode.
HDFView 3.0.0 can't open files in unicode-named folder.

Best regards,

Trig

Mike,

Lori Cooper wrote:
> To view from a browser, see:
>
> https://support.hdfgroup.org/newsletters/newsletter154.pdf

> The HDF Group Home Page: https://www.hdfgroup.org/
> Support Services: https://www.hdfgroup.org/services/
>
> Newsletter #154
> May 31, 2017
>
> A *beta* version of HDFView 3.0.0 is now available from The HDF Group
> home page:
>
> https://www.hdfgroup.org/hdfview/
>
> This is a major release that includes the following new features and
> changes:
>
> • It supports 64-bit object identifiers, and uses the HDF-Java wrappers
> that were added to HDF5 (in HDF5-1.10) and HDF4 (in HDF 4.2.12).
>
> • The GUI framework that HDFView uses was migrated from Swing to SWT,
> which provides a more native application look and feel and advanced
> support for tables.
>
> • The data views (such as TableView and ImageView) have been separated
> from the main HDFView window and now open as separate application
> windows. The main HDFView window still displays open files and their
> structures on the left side of the window, and it now displays the
> metadata of the currently selected object on the right side.
>
> • This release includes improved support for various datatypes
> (compound, array of compound, and opaque).
>
> For a complete list of the new features and changes in this release,
> please see the Release Notes:
> https://support.hdfgroup.org/ftp/HDF5/releases/HDF-JAVA/hdfview-3.0.0/src/unpacked/docs/RELEASE.txt
>
> *Why use HDFView 3? *
>
> HDFView 3 can read files created with any version of HDF5 or HDF4. The
> older HDFView 2.x software supports files created with HDF5-1.8 (or
> earlier) and any version of HDF4. HDFView 2.x may be able to read some
> HDF5-1.10 files if they do not include any new features.
>
> *Important Change:*
>
> **
>
> Please be aware that the change from Swing to SWT will affect users of
> the HDF-Java Object package. With earlier releases of HDF-Java, the
> Swing GUI framework library was required. This is no longer necessary in
> HDFView 3.

Re: HDFView 3.0.0 Beta Release (Newsletter #154)

bljones

Hello Trig,

We were able to reproduce this (with the “Pinyin traditional” keyboard on Mac OSX).

I entered bug HDFVIEW-33 for the issue.

Thanks!

-Barbara

[hidden email]

Re: HDFView 3.0.0 Beta Release (Newsletter #154)

Christian Oyarzun

Any chance the source repository for HDFView will be placed on https://bitbucket.hdfgroup.org/projects?

Thanks,

-Christian

HDFView 3.0.0 can't open files named in unicode.

HDFView 3.0.0 can't open files in unicode-named folder.

Best regards,

Trig

The information contained in this email message, including any attachments, contains or may contain proprietary and confidential information intended only for the addressee. It is furnished with the understanding that it is for the sole use of the addressee and may only be used for the purposes for which it has been delivered by Studsvik or its designee. The information contained herein shall not be copied, reproduced or transmitted to any other parties, nor shall it be used for any other purpose, without prior written consent of Studsvik. If you have received this email in error, please return it to the sender and destroy or otherwise permanently delete the copy received.

Re: HDFView 3.0.0 Beta Release (Newsletter #154)

Jordan Henderson

Hi Christian,

under the HDFVIEW project at https://bitbucket.hdfgroup.org/projects, the "hdfview-2" repository refers to the previous HDFView, whereas the "hdfview" repository now refers to the source for this beta release version.

Thanks,

Jordan