Opinion about adjusting packaging of serial vs. parallel hdf5 library installs

Opinion about adjusting packaging of serial vs. parallel hdf5 library installs

Miller, Mark C.
Hi All,

Just curious if anyone out there runs into the issue of supporting *both* serial and parallel HDF5 clients from a *single* HDF5 installation.

A challenge I have is supporting this across Windows, OS X and Linux.

With a *single* HDF5 installation, the libhdf5.{so,dll,dylib…} has link-time dependence on MPI even for serial clients. But, properly coded
serial clients *should* have no run-time dependence on MPI.

Does anyone run into any gotchas doing this.

Would it make sense to ask The HDF Group to re-package the parallel installation slightly providing a libhdf5.{so,dll,dylib} that has NO
MPI references in it and a second, smaller, libhdf5_mpi.{so,dll,dylib} that that has the mpi-parallel parts? A parallel caller would have to
link to libhdf5_mpi and libhdf5 but a single installation could more easily support both serial and parallel clients.

Just curious if others have thoughts on this.

Mark

Re: Opinion about adjusting packaging of serial vs. parallel hdf5 library installs

Miller, Mark C.
One “gotcha” we’ve already encountered is that a —enable-parallel configured hdf5 installation #include <mpi.h> from HDF5’s public header file.

Mark

Re: Opinion about adjusting packaging of serial vs. parallel hdf5 library installs

jsmith82
I am interested in anyone who has done this successfully. I am hoping to create a "skeleton" file in serial and write some data to it and then reopen the file in parallel using a single hdf5 library for writing the parallel data. I have been working with the latest version of hdf5 and have not got the library to pass the tests after building both serial and parallel.

James