Request to post a new topic in the hdf-forum.

Request to post a new topic in the hdf-forum.

hdfuser
Hello,
Imagine two datasets A and B.
I'd like to add values in dataset A, and then create dataset B to only display a subset of the values in dataset A.
Is this possible ? Dataset B would only be a "view" displaying specific parts of dataset A (eg. the three first points and the three last points in A). Opening it in HDFView should be transparent.

In the online documentation, some features seem close but none seems to match exactly:
- Regions for example at first were promizing, but it seems more like a mechanism to memorize data selections on datasets, and there seems to be no means of creating a dataset that will actually display that region of the other dataset specifically,
- Virtual Datasets were interesting too, but these seem to work with different files, when in our case it must work within one single file.

Anyone knows of a feature that could help ?

Thanks,
hdfuser

Re: Request to post a new topic in the hdf-forum.

Quincey Koziol-3

> On Apr 21, 2017, at 6:21 AM, Henri de La Rochejaquelein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
> Imagine two datasets A and B.
> I'd like to add values in dataset A, and then create dataset B to only display a subset of the values in dataset A.
> Is this possible ? Dataset B would only be a "view" displaying specific parts of dataset A (eg. the three first points and the three last points in A). Opening it in HDFView should be transparent.
>
> In the online documentation, some features seem close but none seems to match exactly:
> - Regions for example at first were promizing, but it seems more like a mechanism to memorize data selections on datasets, and there seems to be no means of creating a dataset that will actually display that region of the other dataset specifically,
> - Virtual Datasets were interesting too, but these seem to work with different files, when in our case it must work within one single file.
>
> Anyone knows of a feature that could help ?

        Virtual datasets can work within the same file and should be what you need.