Seconding the request for H5Pset_libver_bounds 1.8.x file compat option

Seconding the request for H5Pset_libver_bounds 1.8.x file compat option

Kevin B. McCarty
Hi,

Seconding the request from Dave Allured, (apologies that I can't reply
on the same thread since I subscribed to the HDF5 mailing list only
just now),

In HDF5 1.8.x there was a macro H5F_LIBVER_18 in H5Fpublic.h which I
understood that, if used as the "earliest" argument to
H5Pset_libver_bounds(), would ensure that an HDF5 file created with
this plist would be backwards-compatible to some version of HDF 1.8
for reads later.

In HDF5 1.10.1 (I haven't looked at 1.10.0), this macro has been
removed.  This seems bad to me since first of all its removal breaks
the library's public API (we were using that macro for reason stated
above!).

But more importantly, it seems that there is now no way to get an HDF
1.10.1-using application to generate a 1.8.x-format HDF5 file (as
opposed to a format with H5F_LIBVER_EARLIEST which we presume is
probably less efficient than the 1.8.x format, though we'd be happy to
be corrected of course ;-).  Is this true?  For backwards
compatibility reasons, my employer is unable to upgrade our software
to using 1.10.x unless and until this could be addressed.  (We are
currently at 1.8.18.)

[P.S.  As you are an open-source project, it would be nice if your
issue tracker was public and would accept submissions from external
parties ...]

Thanks and best regards,

--
Kevin B. McCarty
<[hidden email]>

Re: Seconding the request for H5Pset_libver_bounds 1.8.x file compat option

Elena Pourmal
Kevin, Dave, and All,

We understand the importance of this feature and started working on it long before HDF5 1.10.0. Unfortunately, we didn't have enough bandwidth to finish the feature for HDF5 1.10.0 and 1.10.1. Implementation of the new functionality took precedence. The feature will be available before we drop support for HDF5 1.8.* (date will be announced).

Elena