Quantcast

Table vs DataSet vs PacketTable

Serti Ayoub
Hello All,

I'm new to HDF5 file format and I didn't see the difference between Table, DataSet and PacketTable? what's the difference between all those structure? And what every one stand for?

Thank you in advance.
Regards,
Ayoub

 Sent with Mailtrack

Re: Table vs DataSet vs PacketTable

Jason Newton
Datasets are the lowest level.

Tables build on datasets and have an API to work with them.  Still just a dataset as an implementation.

PacketTables are an optimized Table api designed for frequent appending such as in a real time application.  The implementation trick they use is they simply keep the table api opened underneath so each append only changes the dataset size and then writes.  I like 'em for most applications as you're no worse off than any of the other other APIs at worse, but that you can easily write more data to your dataset is quite nice.

-Jason

On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 1:23 PM, Serti Ayoub <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello All,

I'm new to HDF5 file format and I didn't see the difference between Table, DataSet and PacketTable? what's the difference between all those structure? And what every one stand for?

Thank you in advance.
Regards,
Ayoub

 Sent with Mailtrack

Re: Table vs DataSet vs PacketTable

Serti Ayoub
Thank you Jason,

It's more clear now. So, I can save data using dataset API and read it with Table or PacketTable API?

-Ayb

[...]

SMITCH12@harris.com

I wouldn’t bet on it. You can do it the other way around though, write as a Table or PacketTable and read as a Dataset.

Re: Table vs DataSet vs PacketTable

Scot Breitenfeld
Also, the PT/TB APIs are high-level HDF5 calls, meaning they use a series of low-level HDF5 APIs to create the PT/TB. If you are curious to see what low-level HDF5 APIs are needed, for example, to create a PT, then  you can look in the HDF5 source, hl/src/H5PT.c —>  H5PTcreate.

Scot