compression in lite?

Dominik Szczerba-2
Hi, Is compression possible / planned in the lite interface?
thanks and regards, D.S.
--
Dominik Szczerba, Ph.D.
Computer Vision Lab CH-8092 Zurich

compression in lite?

Pedro Vicente Nunes
At 03:53 PM 1/4/2008, Dominik Szczerba wrote:
>Hi, Is compression possible / planned in the lite interface?
>thanks and regards, D.S.
>--
>Dominik Szczerba, Ph.D.
>Computer Vision Lab CH-8092 Zurich
>http://www.vision.ee.ethz.ch/~domi

Hi Dominik

at this moment, compression is not featured with Lite. When we designed the
Lite interface that feature was left out, because it was considered to be
an "advanced" feature.

Lite is meant to be as simple as it gets on its use, just a few basic
function calls to get a file and datasets or attributes up and running. Its
functions are purely based on other basic library function calls.

The Lite interface is part of the High Level interface. Besides Lite the
High Level interface has the Image, Table,     Packet Table and Dimension
Scales APIs. With these the goal is slightly different from Lite, it is to
define a standard way to use Images, Tables and Dimension Scales, all
considered high level abstractions for the basic use of the library.

http://www.hdfgroup.uiuc.edu/HDF5/doc_1.8pre/doc/RM/RM_H5Front.html

What sort of behavior would you like to see implemented in Lite regarding
compression ?

As usual, we enter all requests and bugs in our database, and when there is
enough momentum and /or financial support, we implement it.

Of course, you can use compression in your Lite program by combining it
with some basic library functions. Probably you will want to define a
property list, call your favorite compression function in it,  and create a
dataset with it using the basic functions.

Thanks

Pedro

Pedro Vicente Nunes
http://hdfgroup.org/
HDF5 tools main developer
phone: (217)-265-0311
pvn at hdfgroup.org

compression in lite?

Dominik Szczerba-2
Hi Pedro,

It would be useful to add an optional parameter, int* chunk_size, to the end
of argument list of each write method. If null then no zlib compression is
applied (default), if not null then it is interpreted to contain chunk sizes
for the compressed storage (of the same rank as the dataset).

I have done something like it in my own C++ interface.

thank you and regards,
Dominik