Quantcast

dropping HDF5 1.8 fortran support under .Net 2003 environment

dropping HDF5 1.8 fortran support under .Net 2003 environment

Francesc Altet
Hi Kent,

A Wednesday 15 August 2007, MuQun Yang escrigu?:

> Hi all,
>
> We(The HDF Group) are thinking to drop HDF5 1.8 fortran(with intel
> fortran) support under .Net 2003 environment. We would like this to
> happen even in the future HDF5 1.8 beta release.  It is very hard for
> us to maintain this. So please let us know if this will greatly
> affect your applications.
>
> We will still support intel fortran 9.1 under VS 2005. We will still
> support HDF5 C and C++ on .Net 2003 and .Net 2005.

It is good news that you decided to still keep the support of HDF5 C
libraries on .Net 2003, because dropping it could greatly affect
PyTables.  As you know, PyTables is written in Python and Python
interpreters have to be compiled with this specific 2003 version, and I
don't know whether dynamically linking with libraries compiled with
other versions would be a problem or not (any hint?).  I assume that
you will be delivering .Net 2003 binaries for the C version of the HDF5
1.8 series, right?.

BTW, are there any plans to support the MinGW compiler (a porting of
GCC) on Windows platforms?  That would be nice to help removing in the
future the dependency on commercial compilers for Windows.

>0,0<   Francesc Altet ? ? http://www.carabos.com/
V   V   C?rabos Coop. V. ??Enjoy Data
 "-"

dropping HDF5 1.8 fortran support under .Net 2003 environment

MuQun Yang-2
Hi Francesc,

Yes, we will provide .Net 2003 binaries for the
HDF5 1.8 C and C++ libraries. Users can also
build C/C++ libraries from HDF5 source.
We've already tried MinGW port for 1.8 only. If
you checked the recent beta release, you may find
INSTALL_MinGW.txt under release_docs/. You may
find that you need to do a few twists to build on MinGW.

Hope this can help.

Best,

Kent
At 02:57 AM 8/16/2007, Francesc Altet wrote:

>Hi Kent,
>
>A Wednesday 15 August 2007, MuQun Yang escrigu?:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We(The HDF Group) are thinking to drop HDF5 1.8 fortran(with intel
> > fortran) support under .Net 2003 environment. We would like this to
> > happen even in the future HDF5 1.8 beta release.  It is very hard for
> > us to maintain this. So please let us know if this will greatly
> > affect your applications.
> >
> > We will still support intel fortran 9.1 under VS 2005. We will still
> > support HDF5 C and C++ on .Net 2003 and .Net 2005.
>
>It is good news that you decided to still keep the support of HDF5 C
>libraries on .Net 2003, because dropping it could greatly affect
>PyTables.  As you know, PyTables is written in Python and Python
>interpreters have to be compiled with this specific 2003 version, and I
>don't know whether dynamically linking with libraries compiled with
>other versions would be a problem or not (any hint?).  I assume that
>you will be delivering .Net 2003 binaries for the C version of the HDF5
>1.8 series, right?.
>
>BTW, are there any plans to support the MinGW compiler (a porting of
>GCC) on Windows platforms?  That would be nice to help removing in the
>future the dependency on commercial compilers for Windows.
>
>Regards,
>
>--
> >0,0<   Francesc Altet     http://www.carabos.com/
>V   V   C?rabos Coop. V.   Enjoy Data
>  "-"

dropping HDF5 1.8 fortran support under .Net 2003 environment

Francesc Altet
Hi Ken,

Excellent!  Also, I'll have a try at compiling HDF5 with MinGW as soon
as I can.  Thanks for the information.

Cheers,

A Thursday 16 August 2007, MuQun Yang escrigu?: