google groups not archiving?

Quincey Koziol

On Mar 26, 2008, at 9:18 AM, Jason Sachs wrote:
> I see this message when I look at the latest thread of the google
> group
> hdf-forum:
>
> Note: The author of this message requested that it not be archived.
> This
> message will be removed from Groups in  18 hours  (Mar 27, 4:17 am).
>
> Is this an error? looking at past messages is extremely valuable...

        Hmm, I definitely don't want the past messages to be deleted, but I
can't figure out how to change the setting.  Does anyone know how to
change this?

> ===
>
> Also, I am in a bit of a conundrum; I would really rather read
> messages
> on the web, so would like to stop receiving individual email messages,
> but don't want to stop being able to send messages to the group. As
> far
> as I understand, the two are coupled together through membership to
> the
> mailing list -- in order to send messages, you have to be a member of
> the mailing list, which causes you to receive all the messages.
>
> Is there any way to stop my email delivery but still be able to send
> messages?

        I don't think so, unless we shifted to completely using Google Groups
for the mailing list.

Re: google groups not archiving?

Ruth Aydt
Administrator
The HDF-Forum list is also readable / archived / searchable via a web interface on Nabble:

http://hdf-forum.184993.n3.nabble.com/

I *believe* (but have not confirmed) that you can use options on this page to subscribe, select not to receive email, but then post through nabble or the mail list.   If you give it a try please let us know if it works!

-- Thanks -- Ruth