[hdf-forum] H5Dset_extent and maxdims

Francesc Alted
Hi,

I'm trying to wrap the H5Dset_extent call, and I have a question.  In
the current docs, one can read:

"""
 This function can be applied to the following datasets:

    * Any dataset with unlimited dimensions
    * A dataset with fixed dimensions if the new dimension sizes are
less than the maximum sizes set with maxdims (see H5Screate_simple)
"""

(http://www.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/doc/RM/RM_H5D.html#Dataset-SetExtent),

However, when I try to set a size larger than maximum against a dataset
with fixed dimensions, the H5Dset_extent call succeeds and effectively
*enlarges* the dimension (contrarily to what documentation is saying).

Anybody can tell me whether this is an error in the docs or in the
function itself?  I'm using HDF5 1.8.1 for my tests.

Francesc Alted
Freelance developer
Tel +34-964-282-249

[hdf-forum] H5Dset_extent and maxdims

Pedro Vicente Nunes
Hi Francesc

At 05:46 AM 10/7/2008, Francesc Alted wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm trying to wrap the H5Dset_extent call, and I have a question.  In
>the current docs, one can read:
>
>"""
> This function can be applied to the following datasets:
>
>    * Any dataset with unlimited dimensions
>    * A dataset with fixed dimensions if the new dimension sizes are
>less than the maximum sizes set with maxdims (see H5Screate_simple)
>"""
>
>(http://www.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/doc/RM/RM_H5D.html#Dataset-SetExtent),
>
>However, when I try to set a size larger than maximum against a dataset
>with fixed dimensions, the H5Dset_extent call succeeds and effectively
>*enlarges* the dimension (contrarily to what documentation is saying).

this should not happen, it is not allowed to set a size larger than the initially set maximum in a dataset with fixed dimensions

the docs are correct

can you send us a sample program ?

Pedro

>Anybody can tell me whether this is an error in the docs or in the
>function itself?  I'm using HDF5 1.8.1 for my tests.

>Thanks,
>
>--
>Francesc Alted
>Freelance developer
>Tel +34-964-282-249

Pedro Vicente (T) 217.265-0311
pvn at hdfgroup.org
The HDF Group. 1901 S. First. Champaign, IL 61820

[hdf-forum] H5Dset_extent and maxdims

Francesc Alted
A Tuesday 07 October 2008, Pedro Vicente escrigu?:

> Hi Francesc
>
> At 05:46 AM 10/7/2008, Francesc Alted wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm trying to wrap the H5Dset_extent call, and I have a question.
> > In the current docs, one can read:
> >
> >"""
> > This function can be applied to the following datasets:
> >
> >    * Any dataset with unlimited dimensions
> >    * A dataset with fixed dimensions if the new dimension sizes are
> >less than the maximum sizes set with maxdims (see H5Screate_simple)
> >"""
> >
> >(http://www.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/doc/RM/RM_H5D.html#Dataset-SetExtent),
> >
> >However, when I try to set a size larger than maximum against a
> > dataset with fixed dimensions, the H5Dset_extent call succeeds and
> > effectively *enlarges* the dimension (contrarily to what
> > documentation is saying).
>
> this should not happen, it is not allowed to set a size larger than
> the initially set maximum in a dataset with fixed dimensions
>
> the docs are correct
>
> can you send us a sample program ?

I see.  Unfortunately, I don't have time right now to provide the
sample, but I'll put this in my TODO list.

Francesc Alted
Freelance developer
Tel +34-964-282-249

[hdf-forum] H5Dset_extent and maxdims

Francesc Alted
Hi Pedro,

A Tuesday 07 October 2008, Pedro Vicente escrigu?:

> Hi Francesc
>
> At 05:46 AM 10/7/2008, Francesc Alted wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm trying to wrap the H5Dset_extent call, and I have a question.
> > In the current docs, one can read:
> >
> >"""
> > This function can be applied to the following datasets:
> >
> >    * Any dataset with unlimited dimensions
> >    * A dataset with fixed dimensions if the new dimension sizes are
> >less than the maximum sizes set with maxdims (see H5Screate_simple)
> >"""
> >
> >(http://www.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/doc/RM/RM_H5D.html#Dataset-SetExtent),
> >
> >However, when I try to set a size larger than maximum against a
> > dataset with fixed dimensions, the H5Dset_extent call succeeds and
> > effectively *enlarges* the dimension (contrarily to what
> > documentation is saying).
>
> this should not happen, it is not allowed to set a size larger than
> the initially set maximum in a dataset with fixed dimensions
>
> the docs are correct
>
> can you send us a sample program ?

I've tried to reproduce the problem with the sample program, but I
can't :-/  With the attached program, I get:

$ ./h5_set_extent
HDF5-DIAG: Error detected in HDF5 (1.8.1) thread 0:
  #000: H5D.c line 1007 in H5Dset_extent(): unable to set extend dataset
    major: Dataset
    minor: Unable to initialize object
  #001: H5Dint.c line 2472 in H5D_set_extent(): unable to modify size of
data space
  #002: H5S.c line 1791 in H5S_set_extent(): dimension cannot be
modified
    major: Invalid arguments to routine
    minor: Bad value

in both 1.6.5 and 1.8.1, so obviously I made some mistake in my earlier
tests.

Sorry for the noise,

--
Francesc Alted