[hdf-forum] HDF 5 1.8.1 on Ubuntu 8.0.4

Thomas Voß
Hi list :-)

I'm trying to use HDF5 1.8.1 on Ubuntu 8.0.4. Unfortunately, I'm
experiencing strange problems when writing HDF-files. Although the
library does not report any errors, the resulting HDF-files cannot be
opened, neither by h5dump or h5ls, nor by hdfview.

I'm writing with the default virtual file driver (sec2) to an ext3-
formatted partition. For simplicity reasons, I do not use online
compression of data. Indeed, I write 1-dimensional arrays of data to
datasets.

Did this issue arise for anyone else?

Best regards,
Thomas

[hdf-forum] HDF 5 1.8.1 on Ubuntu 8.0.4

Francesc Alted
A Thursday 30 October 2008, Thomas Vo? escrigu?:

> Hi list :-)
>
> I'm trying to use HDF5 1.8.1 on Ubuntu 8.0.4. Unfortunately, I'm
> experiencing strange problems when writing HDF-files. Although the
> library does not report any errors, the resulting HDF-files cannot be
> opened, neither by h5dump or h5ls, nor by hdfview.
>
> I'm writing with the default virtual file driver (sec2) to an ext3-
> formatted partition. For simplicity reasons, I do not use online
> compression of data. Indeed, I write 1-dimensional arrays of data to
> datasets.
>
> Did this issue arise for anyone else?

I've had reports of people that experienced this, yes.  They were
creating HDF5 files with PyTables and h5ls was not able to look into
them.  After contacting the THG help desk they confirmed that this was
a know problem and that will be fixed in next HDF5 1.8.2.

How have you created your files?  Can you send an example file or a
sample code to generate it?

Cheers,

--
Francesc Alted

[hdf-forum] HDF 5 1.8.1 on Ubuntu 8.0.4

Richard van Hees
Hi,

As far as I know (and I run Ubuntu) none of the problems you mention are
related to Ubuntu.

To fix some known problems with h5dump and h5ls, I would advice you to
download and install the latest snapshot of hdf5-1.8.1

hdfview only supports hdf5-files created with version 1.6.7 or earlier.

Best regards, Richard

Francesc Alted wrote:

> A Thursday 30 October 2008, Thomas Vo? escrigu?:
>
>> Hi list :-)
>>
>> I'm trying to use HDF5 1.8.1 on Ubuntu 8.0.4. Unfortunately, I'm
>> experiencing strange problems when writing HDF-files. Although the
>> library does not report any errors, the resulting HDF-files cannot be
>> opened, neither by h5dump or h5ls, nor by hdfview.
>>
>> I'm writing with the default virtual file driver (sec2) to an ext3-
>> formatted partition. For simplicity reasons, I do not use online
>> compression of data. Indeed, I write 1-dimensional arrays of data to
>> datasets.
>>
>> Did this issue arise for anyone else?
>>

> I've had reports of people that experienced this, yes.  They were
> creating HDF5 files with PyTables and h5ls was not able to look into
> them.  After contacting the THG help desk they confirmed that this was
> a know problem and that will be fixed in next HDF5 1.8.2.
>
> How have you created your files?  Can you send an example file or a
> sample code to generate it?
>
> Cheers,

[hdf-forum] HDF 5 1.8.1 on Ubuntu 8.0.4

Thomas Voß
Hi,

thanks for the swift responses. I could narrow down the problem to the
following line

        error = H5LTset_attribute_string( sensorHandle, f.str().c_str(),
"ClassName", sensor->className().c_str() );

the class-name of sensor might be NULL, but the HDF-API does not
report any problems. Notice that "f" is an object of type boost::format.

If this line is commented out, everything works fine.

Btw, I'm able to load the result hdf5-1.8.1-files with the hdfview-
application.

Best regards,
Thomas