[hdf-forum] Q: list archives and java version?

[hdf-forum] Q: list archives and java version?

Tito Ingargiola

Hi,

I've recently been playing with both c and java versions of HDF5 and have a number of questions.  Before I bore this list with questions which have been answered before, I wonder: is there an archive of this mailing list available somewhere which I could access?

I also notice that the latest Java version is ~10 months old and doesn't track the latest version.  Is the java version still being developed or has it been discontinued?  Are there significant projects using the java interfaces or should it best be avoided?

Thanks in advance for your insights.  Regards,

     Tito.

[hdf-forum] Q: list archives and java version?

Quincey Koziol
Hi Tito,

On Aug 25, 2008, at 9:07 AM, Tito Ingargiola wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've recently been playing with both c and java versions of HDF5 and
> have a number of questions.  Before I bore this list with questions
> which have been answered before, I wonder: is there an archive of
> this mailing list available somewhere which I could access?

        Unfortunately, we don't have archives of the mailing list on the web
yet, but they are available through an e-mail interface.  Send mail to 'hdf-forum-help at hdfgroup.org
' for instructions on how to retrieve messages from the archive.

> I also notice that the latest Java version is ~10 months old and
> doesn't track the latest version.  Is the java version still being
> developed or has it been discontinued?  Are there significant
> projects using the java interfaces or should it best be avoided?

Since the HDF library is written in C, that is the best interface if
you want full features and functionality.  There are significant
projects that use the wrapper interfaces we provide (Fortran, Java, C+
+), but the release of those versions often trails the C release, and
the wrappers offer varying degrees of access to the full features of
the library.

When a significant HDF5 library version comes out the release schedule
of the wrappers varies depending on the amount of work required and
our obligations to paying customers who rely on the wrappers.  For
those language wrappers not currently fully funded, staff time may be
diverted to other projects periodically, stretching the time to update
them.

For Java specifically, the 1.8 changes are significant, and we do not
receive sufficient funding for the Java wrappers to devote staff to
their maintenance on a full-time basis.  An update of the Java
wrappers is in the works, but there is no estimated release date at
this time.

[hdf-forum] Q: list archives and java version?

Darryl Okahata
> Unfortunately, we don't have archives of the mailing list on the web
> yet, but they are available through an e-mail interface.  Send mail to 'hdf-f
> orum-help at hdfgroup.org' for instructions on how to retrieve messages
> from the archive.

     On a slightly related topic, why is this header set?:

This is probably preventing others from archiving this list.  Normally,
if I do a google search for a list, google tends to report multiple
archives.  However, for this one, I can't find anything on google, and I
can't help but wonder if that's due to the above header.

--
        Darryl Okahata
        darrylo at soco.agilent.com

On Aug 26, 2008, at 12:36 PM, Darryl Okahata wrote:

>> Unfortunately, we don't have archives of the mailing list on the web
>> yet, but they are available through an e-mail interface.  Send mail
>> to 'hdf-f
>> orum-help at hdfgroup.org' for instructions on how to retrieve messages
>> from the archive.
>
>     On a slightly related topic, why is this header set?:

> This is probably preventing others from archiving this list.
> Normally,
> if I do a google search for a list, google tends to report multiple
> archives.  However, for this one, I can't find anything on google,
> and I
> can't help but wonder if that's due to the above header.

        Yes, that header shouldn't be set, but our current mailing list
provider doesn't have a way to disable it.  We're in the process of
moving to another provider which will hopefully allow us to fix this
situation.