Quantcast

[hdf-forum] Recover a corrupt HDF5 file

Ottmar Buennemeyer
Hello HDF5 group,

We have a serious problem with one of our HDF5 Files.
During a write access a program crash results in a damaged HDF5 file.

The HDF5 file has 40GB in size (family format).
After the crash the file size is unchanged but no entry in the file is possible anymore.

What can we do to recover a working file with the contained data?

Thanks in advance,
Ottmar

[hdf-forum] Recover a corrupt HDF5 file

Quincey Koziol
Hi Ottmar,

On Oct 28, 2008, at 9:31 AM, Ottmar Buennemeyer wrote:

> Hello HDF5 group,
>
> We have a serious problem with one of our HDF5 Files.
> During a write access a program crash results in a damaged HDF5 file.
>
> The HDF5 file has 40GB in size (family format).
> After the crash the file size is unchanged but no entry in the file
> is possible anymore.
>
> What can we do to recover a working file with the contained data?

        We can do some custom data recovery work for you, possibly, but
generally speaking, this situation is not currently recoverable.  We
_are_ working on a method of allowing HDF5 files to be journaled,
which will avoid this sort of problem, but it's not ready for public
release yet.