[hdf-forum] simple question

christian.liebhardt@iae-gmbh.com
Hi,

I'am very new to HDF5 and I do not have much experience in programming. So, is it possible to include HDF5 in Python programs? How does it works?

Thx
Christian

[hdf-forum] simple question

Francesc Alted
Hi Christian,

A Thursday 09 October 2008, christian.liebhardt at iae-gmbh.com escrigu?:
> Hi,
>
> I'am very new to HDF5 and I do not have much experience in
> programming. So, is it possible to include HDF5 in Python programs?
> How does it works?

I don't know what you exactly mean by 'including' HDF5 in Python, but I
suppose that you meant using the HDF5 library from Python.  In that
case, yeah, there are (at least) a couple of options:

- h5py (h5py.alfven.org):  Meant to provide a complete wrapper to HDF5.
It uses a low level approach, and despite the fact that it is a pretty
young library (i.e. you should expect bugs), it looks great.

- PyTables (www.pytables.org):  It provides a high-level, easy-to-use
interface to the HDF5 library with an emphasis in performance.  It is a
mature (reached production quality around 5 years ago) and well-tested
library.

My advise is that you visit their web sites and choose the one that fits
better to your needs.

Hope that helps,

--
Francesc Alted