maven repository for java release.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

maven repository for java release.

James Bullard
Hi All,

I was looking to use HDF5 in a new java project and I was disappointed to see that the HDFgroup hasn't pushed a new set of jars to Maven. This post from a year ago asks more or less the same thing:


You can see the current available version is here:


Is it possible for the new releases to get pushed to this invaluable resource?

thanks! jim 

_______________________________________________
Hdf-forum is for HDF software users discussion.
[hidden email]
http://mail.lists.hdfgroup.org/mailman/listinfo/hdf-forum_lists.hdfgroup.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: maven repository for java release.

Allen Byrne
James,

We have been discussing this issue and we will need the community's help.
My questions;
 1. are these jars just the API interface, not the object or hdfview layer?
 2. what is the process to update the repository?
 3. Are there supporting issues that we need to improve or implement?
 4. other things?  

Allen

On Monday, February 10, 2014 04:48:09 PM James Bullard wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I was looking to use HDF5 in a new java project and I was disappointed to
> see that the HDFgroup hasn't pushed a new set of jars to Maven. This post
> from a year ago asks more or less the same thing:
>
> http://lists.hdfgroup.org/pipermail/hdf-forum_lists.hdfgroup.org/2013-Februa
> ry/006526.html
>
> You can see the current available version is here:
>
> http://mavenhub.com/mvn/central/org.hdfgroup/hdf-java/2.6.1
>
> Is it possible for the new releases to get pushed to this invaluable
> resource?
>
> thanks! jim


_______________________________________________
Hdf-forum is for HDF software users discussion.
[hidden email]
http://mail.lists.hdfgroup.org/mailman/listinfo/hdf-forum_lists.hdfgroup.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: maven repository for java release.

James Bullard
Hi Allen, 

Thanks for the quick response. I think that is really great that you are considering it -- the ability to include dependencies in a project in this fashion is so huge, we don't even use things that aren't in these central locations.

> 1. are these jars just the API interface, not the object or hdfview layer?

I would say they are the API interface + Object Layer. Unless there are well documented APIs to program to the hdfview layer, I wouldn't include it there. 

> 2. what is the process to update the repository?

It is unclear to me how the current repository got there, I would have assumed you guys had pushed it up at some point? If not, it might be helpful to email the people at the mvn repository: [hidden email]

The general documentation is here: https://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-central-repository-upload.html, however, it might be easiest to just start at sonatype directly: http://www.sonatype.org/central/participate

This location is where a majority of the published artifacts are deposited and then made available to a variety of build tools. 

> 3. Are there supporting issues that we need to improve or implement?

You'll probably need to create a pom.xml in order to correctly upload things to a repository -- this might require some minor changes/enhancements to the build system. It is hard to know at this point. Are you using Ant? If you are then there should be minimal hurdles.

> 4. Other things ...

I envision that the platform specific native libs might be a challenge, but I'm not sure. There are lots of examples up on these repos using native libs so I'm sure it is a solved problem. 

Let me know how I can help, I'm definitely not an expert in the area and I'm sure there are people on this list with more experience.

thanks! jim






On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 7:00 AM, Allen Byrne <[hidden email]> wrote:
James,

We have been discussing this issue and we will need the community's help.
My questions;
 1. are these jars just the API interface, not the object or hdfview layer?
 2. what is the process to update the repository?
 3. Are there supporting issues that we need to improve or implement?
 4. other things?

Allen

On Monday, February 10, 2014 04:48:09 PM James Bullard wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was looking to use HDF5 in a new java project and I was disappointed to
> see that the HDFgroup hasn't pushed a new set of jars to Maven. This post
> from a year ago asks more or less the same thing:
>
> http://lists.hdfgroup.org/pipermail/hdf-forum_lists.hdfgroup.org/2013-Februa
> ry/006526.html
>
> You can see the current available version is here:
>
> http://mavenhub.com/mvn/central/org.hdfgroup/hdf-java/2.6.1
>
> Is it possible for the new releases to get pushed to this invaluable
> resource?
>
> thanks! jim



_______________________________________________
Hdf-forum is for HDF software users discussion.
[hidden email]
http://mail.lists.hdfgroup.org/mailman/listinfo/hdf-forum_lists.hdfgroup.org