Quantcast

obtaining offset length pairs from dataspace id

obtaining offset length pairs from dataspace id

Giuseppe Congiu
Hello,

I am writing an external HDF5 VOL plugin. I have implemented the base mappings between main data model objects (container, groups and datasets) and corresponding storage representations.

At this point I have to implement the dataset read/write functions and thus I need to reconstruct the offset length pairs starting from the dataspace id describing the data layout inside the file.

Apparently I cannot use the H5S_select_get_seq_list() function since this is only available to internal plugins while I am writing an external plugin.

In the public API there are a couple of functions to extract this type of information from the dataspace, e.g. H5Sget_select_hyper_blocklist(), but they do not return directly the offset and length pairs like the internal function previously mentioned does.

Unfortunately my experience with HDF5 dataspaces is not that deep and I am wondering what is the best way of extracting the information I need from the dataspace id.

Giuseppe Congiu · Research Engineer II
Seagate Technology, LLC
office: +44 (0)23 9249 6082 · mobile:
www.seagate.com

Re: obtaining offset length pairs from dataspace id

Neil Fortner
Giuseppe,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. This is definitely something we should consider adding before the HDF5 VOL is included in a release. For now, you need to either do the calculations on your own or add the public API function to the HDF5 library. Sorry for the delay in responding.

-Neil

www.seagate.com<http://www.seagate.com>