slides / notes from SC 2014 "State of the Union"

slides / notes from SC 2014 "State of the Union"

Rob Latham
Hi

Due to a misunderstanding with the "gatekeepers", I was not able to make
it to Tuesday's Birds of a Feather session at this weeks SC conference.

Could anyone there share their notes with me?

thanks
==rob

--
Rob Latham
Argonne National Lab, IL USA

Re: slides / notes from SC 2014 "State of the Union"

Timothy Brown
Hi,

Mohamad Chaarawi, who gave the session said he was going to post them (here I think). However I have yet to see a link/post.

Tim

> On Nov 21, 2014, at 11:13 AM, Rob Latham <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> Due to a misunderstanding with the "gatekeepers", I was not able to make
> it to Tuesday's Birds of a Feather session at this weeks SC conference.
>
> Could anyone there share their notes with me?
>
> thanks
> ==rob
>
> --
> Rob Latham
> Mathematics and Computer Science Division
> Argonne National Lab, IL USA

Re: slides / notes from SC 2014 "State of the Union"

Mohamad Chaarawi
Sure, here they are.

Thanks,
Mohamad

2014-11-23-SC-BOF-v1.pptx (4M) Download Attachment

On 11/22/2014 05:59 PM, Mohamad Chaarawi wrote:
> Sure, here they are.

did you get a good turnout? what did your audience want to talk about /
learn more about?

I'm glad to see collective metadata mentioned -- though I will miss this
7 year old pet issue of mine.  I'll have to find something new to bug
you about :>

==rob

> Thanks,
> Mohamad

Hi Rob,

There were ~30-35 people, and it was at lunch time so I would say it was a good turnout.
The two main interesting features that people seemed excited about were the Virtual Object Layer and enabling compression in parallel.

The collective metadata reads and writes is important too of course, but not many people are aware of those internal pieces of the library to complain about :-). Hopefully that would be done soon.

Thanks,
Mohamad

On 11/25/2014 10:10 AM, Mohamad Chaarawi wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> There were ~30-35 people, and it was at lunch time so I would say it was a good turnout.
> The two main interesting features that people seemed excited about were the Virtual Object Layer and enabling compression in parallel.
>
> The collective metadata reads and writes is important too of course, but not many people are aware of those internal pieces of the library to complain about :-). Hopefully that would be done soon.

thanks for the sumary.  Sorry I could not be there to in-person hang my
head in shame at not yet fixing the latest  2 GiB I/O bug in ROMIO.

How well does OMPIO handle these demands?  OpenMPI is going to make
OMPIO the default in 1.9, so now you'll have two cranky MPI-IO
implementations to worry about

==rob

> Thanks,
> Mohamad

OMPIO had some bugs exposed by the HDF5 parallel tests that I told Edgar about a few weeks ago.
The UH folks fixed those so that the parallel test suite succeeds, but I have not tried the bigio branch against OMPIO yet to know where it stands.

Thanks,
Mohamad

Michael Jackson
I am excited about the Excel Add in. If you want a beta-tester just let me know. We could really use something like that now.

Thanks for all the great work
Mike Jackson

On Nov 22, 2014, at 6:59 PM, Mohamad Chaarawi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sure, here they are.
>
> Thanks,
> Mohamad

Mitchell, Scott - Exelis
Excel Add-in?

Yes. Me too...

Scott Mitchell

I am excited about the Excel Add in. If you want a beta-tester just let me know. We could really use something like that now.

Thanks for all the great work
Mike Jackson

On Nov 22, 2014, at 6:59 PM, Mohamad Chaarawi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sure, here they are.
>
> Thanks,
> Mohamad

________________________________

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may be proprietary and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Exelis Inc. The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. Exelis Inc. accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.

Re: slides / notes from SC 2014 "State of the Union"

Haymo Kutschbach
> Excel Add-in?
> I am excited about the Excel Add in. If you want a beta-tester just let me

I would be interested in such add-in also. Where did you find the reference?
Basically, accessing HDF5 files from Excel & friends is very easy already. I
just put together a small blog post about it:

http://ilnumerics.net/blog/fun-with-hdf5-ilnumerics-and-excel/

But having a 'real' add-in would for sure ease some things further. It would
be great if you could share your requirements? What is your scenario? We
might invest some development...

Thanks, Haymo

--
Haymo Kutschbach