zlib and HDF5

Miller, Mark C.

Hi All,

I am curious how many people out that build HDF5 with*OUT* zlib?

I occasionally have a need to do that...particularly when the system I am building on does not have a zlib available.

However, many packaging tools I am familiar with seem to be assuming that HDF5 *depends* on zlib and cannot build without it. I think this is an incorrect assumption and requires correction community wide.

I am just curious if others would largely agree or disagree or have experiences in using HDF5 that suggest otherwise.

Mark

--

Mark C. Miller, LLNL

"In the end, we will remember not the words of

our enemies but the silence of our friends" - MLK