zlib and HDF5

Miller, Mark C.

Hi All,

I am curious how many people out that build HDF5 with*OUT* zlib?

I occasionally have a need to do that...particularly when the system I am building on does not have a zlib available.

However, many packaging tools I am familiar with seem to be assuming that HDF5 *depends* on zlib and cannot build without it. I think this is an incorrect assumption and requires correction community wide.

I am just curious if others would largely agree or disagree or have experiences in using HDF5 that suggest otherwise.

Mark C. Miller, LLNL

"In the end, we will remember not the words of

our enemies but the silence of our friends" - MLK